St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN40 1HH
£27,000 to £35,000 per annum
Masters in Maths, Physics, Data Science or related
05 November 2017
KTP Advert Ref:
THE UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER IS SEEKING TO APPOINT A KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER ASSOCIATE TO WORK WITH PHOTEK LTD ON A COLLABORATIVE KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER PARTNERSHIP (KTP) PROJECT.
The Associate will be tasked with managing and delivering a multi-disciplinary, strategic project; which is a collaboration between the University of Leicester and Photek Ltd., involving experts in Mathematics, Physics and Electronics Engineering and Computer Science.
The project aims to develop innovative data analytics software and firmware solutions integrated with pixelated, high-speed photon/charged particle detectors and readout electronics.
The post-holder will be jointly supervised and mentored by academics from the University of Leicester’s Departments of Mathematics, Physics and Engineering and by technical experts from Photek Ltd., based in St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex. Photek Ltd are specialist manufacturers of vacuum detectors and camera systems for photon and particle detection.
The company has identified an opportunity to develop their next generation of multi-anode and photon detector products and are working with the University of Leicester to develop the expertise required to build the new products. These detector systems are targeted at applications in High Energy Physics, LIDAR and Fluorescent Lifetime Imaging.
The Associate will work closely with the company and University supervisors to develop the technology underpinning the new products.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum Master’s degree qualification in Mathematics; Computer Science; Physics; Data Science Fields of study: Data Science; Data Analysis; Data Mining or a related discipline.
• Proficient in software development, for example Python, C/C++, MATLAB (or others).
• Knowledge and / or experience of:
o Hardware-oriented programming on multiple platforms.
o software version control
o best practices for software development (unit testing, documentation)
• PhD qualification in a relevant discipline.
• Experience of:
o Machine learning and neural networks
o Image Processing
o Digital Signal Processing
o FPGA/VHDL programming
• Prior experience of successful independent or supervised research.
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team of Academics and Engineers
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
• Strong communication skills.
• Time management and prioritisation.
• Strong self-motivation and interest in the subject area.
• Excellent team-working skills and the ability to liaise and collaborate with a wide range of people.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
• Ability to work to a deadline.
• Project management and business acumen.
• Ability to work within a diverse development team comprising of academics and industrial partners and the wherewithal to impart new knowledge to the company team, embedding it through paired working, training and relevant 'how to' documents.
• Customer liaison skills.
Knowledge Base Partner:
Leicester, University of
Company business area:
Manufacture vacuum detectors and camera systems for photon and particle detection, image intensifiers, photomultiplier tubes, streak tubes plus a range of associated electronics and camera systems.
Dr Andrey Mudrov, email@example.com, Tel: 0116 252 3606